Re: [Harp-L] Positions are not modes - they are keys with multiple possible scales

Positions are NOT modes.

Positions are keys.

Some of the modes have default modes - the notes you get when you play unbent notes. However, this is true only of the seven notes of the major scale that are built into the harp. And these scales can be altered by bending to create any scale you want in that position.

For the five notes of the chromatic scale that are not built into the harp, the position does not have a mode related to the key of the harp. For instance, if you play in 11th position (Bb on a C harp), the tonic note of the scale is a bend. This does not relate to a mode of the C major scale.

Why is this distinction important?

People do play major scales in positions that don't produce them by default, like second and third.

People do play in the positions that don't have an unbent tonic note - check out Chris Michalek's work in 11th position, for instance, or Howard Levy's work in positions like 10th (Eb on a D harp) or 8th (Db on a C harp).

And yes, people do play in 11th position, and 7th, and some of the other extre

Winslow Yerxa