Re: [Harp-L] Modes, keys and positions (John F. Potts)

But first would be a fifth higher than 12th

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Kerkhoven" <solo_danswer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Modes, keys and positions (John F. Potts)

John Potts wrote:

> If you are playing a C harmonica, these seven positions put you  in
> the following respective keys:
>
> First=C
> Second=G
> Third=D minor or D Major
> Fourth=A natural minor
> Fifth=E minor
> Sixth=B minor
> Twelfth=F
>
> Each position is a 5th higher than the immediately preceding
> position.  This relationship remains the same no matter which key you
> start with for First Position

I understood from the first line quoted above that 7 positions were under discussion, those seven being related to the modes of the major scale. The last line says "Each position" but it is in the context of the seven positions under discussion. The seventh -- "Twelfth=F" -- is not one fifth higher than the sixth "Sixth=B".

I meant "modes" when I wrote:
that 12th pos. is not a fifth higher than 6th, but a flat fifth higher.
Relating modes to fifths works ~almost~
perfectly.

My apologies if I misunderstood, but I defend my reading.

And I repeat, in concert with Geoff Atkins, that it was a good post,
succinct and clear.

John