[Harp-L] Modes, keys and positions (John F. Potts)

John Kerkoven writes,

There's just one detail, which is that 12th pos. is not a fifth higher than
6th, but a flat fifth higher. Relating modes to fifths works ~almost~
perfectly.

John.

12th Position is a fifth higher than 11th position, but since 11th position does not correspond to a mode, I left it out of my previous post, just like I left out positions 7 through 10, which also do not correspond to modes. Btw, Howard Levy also calls 12th position “first flat” position because (although it is the last position if you proceed clockwise around the Circle of Fifths), it is the FIRST position if you move COUNTERCLOCKWISE around the Circle of Fifths. If you go counterclockwise, the Circle of Fifths becomes the Circle of Fourths.

Anyway, relating POSITIONS to fifths works perfectly, not almost perfectly. You just have to include the positions I left out when you count.

Best regards,

JP