Re: [Harp-L] am thinking about adding a new position

I agree with Brad about 12th having a lot to like. I just recently stumbled
into it because there were a couple of tunes that I had to learn where 12th
just seemed to work real well. I posted recently about playing Lou Rawls'
"You'll never find another love..." in 12th and more recently have
been using it on the tune "Clean Up Woman" (Betty Wright) . Funny thing is
that both tunes also work out well in 1st but it just seems like more fun to
do them in 12th - the horn lines just lay right there. Plus, nailing those 2
and 3 hole full step draw bends is a great thing to work on and 12th
facilitates that nicely.

I like 5th position a lot too. Try it with Horace Silver's "Senor
Blues". Also there seem to be a fair number of songs that have bridges or
choruses that are in the relative minor of the tonic. For instance, on a
song in G that has a relative minor part in Em, you can play the whole thing
on a C harp switching between 2nd and 5th positions and it works like a
charm.

This is relatively new stuff for me. There's more to learn all the time.
Gotta love it.

tom albanese