From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:43 PM
To: List harp-l
Subject: [Harp-L] am thinking about adding a new position

to my repertoire. I mostly play in 2nd and less often in third, but  I am
reasonably competent in first, second and third position and understand how
to use for blues and non-blues tunes.  I have messed around a very little
bit with 4th position which seems like third position in a different
register area of the harp to me, but different enough to play minor tunes
in.  I am curious as to what you all recommend for a new position to tackle
after first, second and third and what you all think about when choosing and
playing in positions.  Is it a case of just picking up the right key harp
for the the position reletive to the key of the tune and then just knowing
the good/bad notes to use/avoid. Is there some logic in picking a position
beyond the first three?  Is 12th position an obvious next position?  Seems
like 1,2,3,4 and 12th are the most popular? for harp?

Stretching in the woodshed and it hurts sometimes...

Thanks - Ross Macdonald