Re: [Harp-L] Embossing and customizing

Mike writes:
" However, when I hold the
> reed up to the light,
> it always seems that the gap between the reed and reedplate
> is the same as
> if not embossed."

The reason for that is it's not all about lessening the gap between the
reedplate and reed... One of our mottos at the Elk River Institute for
Advanced Harmonica Studies is "hey, the air has to go somewhere." Maybe
think more in terms of how the air flows.

THere's a number of theories for how embossing works. Most are probably
right, some more right than others, as with all things harmonica, lots of
little things add up to create a specific attribute... when you emboss,
you're sort of recreating that magic of the first harmonica reedplates to
come off the line after a die change as you make an otherwise undulating
corner surface uniform,  but you are also decreasing the space between a
little between reed and reedplate, and you are creating a sloping edge
instead of a 90 degree, plus a bunch of other crap and junk that changes
stuff.

But, if you use an Xacto knife and scrape it flat along the edge of the
slot, you get something more like a line of burrs that does decrease the
space between reed and reedplate. You take that same knife at a slight
angle, you get something different. You stick a penny in there, you get a
third emboss that's quite a bit different than the other two.
Interestingly enough, they all seem to work and all of us prefer one
technique or another. Why?

Dave
www.elkriverharmonicas.com