RE: [Harp-L] II V I

> Minor II V I's are much more complex to solo over
> and require thinking about a new scale during each chord or thinking
> ahead to find common scale tones.
--Here's a cool and simple trick to use over the minor cadence: just play the harmonic minor scale...let me quote from George Bouchard's "Intermediate Jazz Improvisation":

"A common shortcut here is to ride the harmonic minor scale of the resolution over the half-diminished and altered dominant part of the progression."

Also, try the altered penatonic scale...for the half-diminished chord, start from the third of that chord; for the altered dominant start 1/2 step up form that chord's tonic....but like you say,Michael, that gives you two scales to deal with; the harmonic minor is only one scale and it's simplier.

WVa Bob

P.S. A jazz trumpet player from whom I took a couple of lessons showed me a lick that fits over the major cadence and, with a few slight alterations, the minor as well. Contact me off-list if you're interested.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/