Re: [Harp-L] II V I

Mick,
II V I is generally not a song structure so much as a 2 to 4 bar
passage in a song.  Minor II V I's are much more complex to solo over
and require thinking about a new scale during each chord or thinking
ahead to find common scale tones.

Major II V I's are much easier.  Thinking modally, a II V I in C major
would have the player playing D dorian over the II, G mixolydian over
the V and C major over the I.  All 3 scales use the exact same notes!
This means if you can identify a major II V I pattern, you can solo
using the I chord's major scale over all the bars involving those
chords.

When I first started playing jazz, I would look the chart of the song
over and identify the major II V I's.  I would make a note to play in
C major over this section and G major over that section.  During the
other sections I would use my ear and just feel it, man.  Except for
very complex songs, this method still works for me.

Years later I know many more tricks to playing jazz, but as you can
see by my questions today, I am now ready to further understand jazz.
You probably will see many more questions from me this year.

I believe that everyone can understand jazz, but I recommend everyone
start by understanding the basics of popular music theory.
If you do not understand 1 plus 1 equals two, it is tough to
understand 2 plus 1 equals 3.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com