[Harp-L] Re: Translation please

Agree with Eric: Tom Ball, Joe Filisko, and Scott Dirks are at least
three people who have remarked that LW seems deliberately to avoid
repeating himself when soloing on records, among his issued records I
mean.  I read the Lockwood quote as affirmation of that, obscured by
the negatives he added for emphasis, I think: If LW recorded a phrase
or line, he could hear it again, memorize it and play it again if
needed, say on the next take in the studio or when the public expected
it in live performance.   But otherwise it was gone and that didn't
matter because he'd tend to come up with something else good.

If you don't believe that, listen to the version of Jimmy Rogers' "Act
Like You Love Me" that includes the false starts, found on Chicago
Bound at least.  LW comes up with a different rhythm pattern every
time and they all kill.

I think it was Filisko who remarked that Walter Horton is easier to
teach because BW has more habits and stock phrases in his recorded
output.  It sounds like Lockwood is praising LW's inventive flow,
which is why that quote would be used in those liner notes.

Stephen Schneider