Re: [Harp-L] valve problems! need help!

My guess for how Vern applies heat and pressure would be the tip of a regular clothes iron, or maybe a large soldering iron, with an eye on the temperature.

Doug H
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: captron100@xxxxxxx
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:08 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] valve problems! need help!

  >>> Vern wrote: In its natural state, ultrasuede is too floppy and soaks up moisture. However, by
  >>>compressing part of its length it can be made stiffer/springier near the rivet end and remain soft
  >>>and textured at the tip.  By applying fabric guard, it can be made waterproof.

  >>I replied:  What method(s) do u use to compress the material?  tia.

  >You  succinctly replied: Heat and pressure.

  Vern, i always read your posts with interest because I am on Harp-L to learn, and find that you are usually extremely informative and generous with
  your time and info.  This time however, perhaps I caught you at a bad time or perhaps you have posted it before and you don't want to repeat yourself.
  But I've never read of this procedure, and i try to read everything posted by our learned colleagues on Harp-L.  When u get more time, maybe u will
  enlighten us how u accomplish heating and pressing the material.  In the meantime, let me guess - you heat one end of a valve with a match, then
  step on it with your foot?    ;)
  ron