[Harp-L] Re: Attack on Overblows

Dropping in on this particular offshoot, I'll mention someone as yet
left out: Ian Collard of Collard Greens and Gravy.  If their first two
records (Collard Greens and Gravy, More Gravy!) aren't blues enough
for you, as contemporary releases go, then I can't do nothin' for ya,
man.  Their last two or three (countin' the live one, Ian :-) are
stone blues too, but he's playing more guitar, less amped harp.
Nonetheless, he's still overbending.  As far as singing/harp playing/
writing/bandleading talents to emerge anywhere on the planet recently,
Ian is on the shortlist.  Go to www.collardgreensandgravy.com and
listen to "Luv Me Baby" to hear how he was working overbends into song
melodies back in 1999.

Frankly, I think a lot of the overbending backlash, if there is such a
thing, is objection to blues-rock.  That is a topic for another
forum.  But the logical extension of harmonica playing technique to
keep up with blues-rock guitar is the rapid school, and the rapid
overbending school.  Consider carefully whether your objection is to
the technique, or to the context.  I mention Ian because I can't
imagine a more impeccable context.