Re: [Harp-L] Attack on Overblows

Thank you, Mike. Your comments are right on target.

I do not do overbends (or valve-assisted bends) to show off or to sound different. When I play blues, I just try to play the right note according to the underlying chord. When I am in the middle register and I need a note that is obtainable only by overbend, I play it. I really don't think about it.

For traditional blues pieces, I usually start slow. I play long sustained notes. I don't play quickly. I particularly grab most opportunities to slide into a 4-5 draw combo. But if I am playing jazz, I have no hesitancy about playing fast. It isn't how many notes you play, only that what you play fits the music.

Frankly, I do not like everything that players who do not overbend do. I think it sounds really crappy when someone changes registers solely because they need a note that they could hit with an overbend.

Also, if I let my amp or pa do the work, and I play gently, it is very difficult to hear any difference in timbre. It is also difficult to detect an OB at any volume if it is, as most OB notes are, a passing note. I don't believe that many OB notes are sustained (although the 6OB sometimes is.)

I am pretty good at accompaniment. When I play with just my guitar player, and we do old Robert Johnson tunes, I think I sound as traditional as anyone. And even then, I use the occasional OB. I just don't see what the issue is.

Notes is notes!

-LM