To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:22 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: {Harp-L} John P. Hammond

I've long regarded John P. Hammond as a dynamic and toop-flight rack-harp
player/guitarist/singer --even before I discovered we shared a birth date.
I think John plays better rack harmonica than many people who ONLY play
harmonica.   BTW, his father studied violin.

His father John Henry Hammond Jr. was responsible for discovering and
promoting people ranging from Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Billie Holiday, Bessie
Smith's last recording session to Bob Dylan. This connection to Columbia
records probably became better known to the public only later in his life -- because most people don't care about producers.