[Harp-L] Re: {Harp-L} John P. Hammond

I've long regarded John P. Hammond as a dynamic and toop-flight rack-harp
player/guitarist/singer --even before I discovered we shared a birth date.
I think John plays better rack harmonica than many people who ONLY play
harmonica.   BTW, his father studied violin.

His father John Henry Hammond Jr. was responsible for discovering and
promoting people ranging from Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Billie Holiday, Bessie
Smith's last recording session to Bob Dylan. This connection to Columbia
records probably became better known to the public only later in his life --
because most people don't care about producers.

His son, John Paul Hammond, even has different names, so he couldn't
possibly be a "junior" -- since the "junior" was already part of his father's
name.

Calling John Paul "Junior" likely arose by people who wanted to distinguish
John Paul (reared by his mother) from his father John Henry Jr., a major
figure in music business.

How do you tell the two apart? Simple, you call the son a Junior, even
though he would be a III if they had the same names.

The confusion continues: check Amazon.com and you will find about half the
John P. CDs attributed to John Hammond Jr. and at least two books by/about
his father: "John Hammond on Record: An Autobiography" and "The Producer:
John Hammond and the Soul of American Music."

If you haven't read John Hammond's autobiography, check it out. It's
certainly interesting and offers an insight into the music scene back in the days
of 78 rpm.   John Henry was responsible for many important recordings.

And if you are missing a few of John P.s CDs, check them out, too

Phil Lloyd