Re: [Harp-L] comb test

> If test after test (imperfect as they may be) fails to show that
> people can hear a difference due to comb materials, that is not
> insignificant, as you seem to be saying. '

The whole point of the null hypothesis is that it it doesn't say
anything, that's what makes it null. "I aceccept the null
hypothosis" mean exactly the same as "I haven't the foggiest
idea".

Let's be specific. In this case what the tests show is that people could not identify a timbral difference due to comb material. I certainly agree that doesn't prove the null hypothesis, but it does show that under controlled circumstances people could not hear a difference.

If test after test fails to prove anything at all then that dosn't
give you any scientific grounds for drawing any conclusions,

There are two separate issues here: the scientific study of phenomena and the practical usage of data. Of course you cannot prove that comb materials don't effect timbre (I never said you could), you can however show that people fail to hear a difference in repeated tests. The practical and real-world usage of that is a different matter than the purely scientific question (and if I conflated the two I apologize). In real world terms we can proceed as if comb material does not effect the timbre because it has not been shown to do so.

JR Ross