Re: [Harp-L] comb test

Thanks for the correction Gary. My main thought is that at some point if all data collected fails to show that the proposed actions take place (comb material effects timbre to a noticeable degree) then it becomes reasonable to assume the opposite as a practical matter. Not proven (and I don't believe I claimed it to be proven) but rather that no effect has been shown.

Personally, I'm most interested in the brass comb results. If the exact same set-up was used unaltered in all four of the examples, what explains the sometimes vast differences in the individuals responses? It's an interesting question, and my thoughts about a psychological explanation were purely speculation--though poorly phrased (I try to be careful about definitive statements, but slip up as often as anyone).

Certainly you're expertise is valuable in these matters. What I'd truly love is to see this studied at a much more thorough level, but there's no money in it so I doubt it will happen.

JR Ross