Re: [Harp-L] RE: Altered reed shapes

This discussion makes me wonder about the reeds in Melodicas. What are their characteristics, including the material from which they are made?
I presume they must be non-ferrous, as they would have to resist breath moisture. But they also seem to have a 'purer' tone, more like an accordion, than a harmonica.
RD

>>> "Doug H" <dough.harpl@xxxxxxxxx> 13/08/2010 12:25 >>>
You are right that Dr. Michael Marino simply said he was trying to achieve a cleaner note by changing the overtones.

But in your initial response you did say that you like the sound of harmonicas just the way they are, and wondered why anyone would want to change that sound.

I thought I was being helpful to you by explaining why I personally would want to explore ways of changing the overtones.  I certainly realize that Michael is speaking of changing the overtones of a single reed, but doing so (depending on what was achieved) would have an effect on how multiple reeds sound in harmony.  Or maybe not!  But that is my interest in his work, and I look forward to hearing about anything he learns.

I did not mean to imply that he was motivated by the same goals as I am.

Doug H

Doug, I don't think Dr. Marino is talking about the interaction between
multiple reeds tuned to different temperaments. I know I wasn't. I think
we are referring to the overtones produced by the vibration of a single
reed. As I understand it, those are the overtones Dr. Marino wants to
remove. Right, Dr. Marino?

Thanks,

Michelle