Re: [Harp-L] RE: Altered reed shapes

Doug H wrote:
Michelle writes:
>Interesting discussion, Dr Marino.
>I just thought I'd mention, though, that I love the sound of the
>harmonica just the way it is. I think that much of the appeal of the
>sound of the harmonica (diatonic, chromatic, tremolo, octave... all
>inclusive) to my ear anyway is due precisely to the overtones that you
>are trying to get rid of. As a result the concept of getting rid of the
>over tones confuses and confounds me.
I think it is commonly agreed that harmonicas tuned to equal temperament have harsh sounding chords. If you are playing a diatonic it has probably been tuned to some version of just intonation. This makes for sweeter chords and still works for melody.

Chords played on chromatic harmonicas (which need to be in equal temperament) sound harsher. Chords are less a part of chromatic playing so for most it is not an issue. Nor is it an issue for the 48-chord harmonicas where each chord can be tuned individually.

Fully chromatic instruments such as concertinas, accordians, melodicas and the harmonetta, have to be in equal temperament but also play chords in every key. Some of these instruments seem to have sweet sounding chords in spite of the equal temperament. Can some of the technology involved be applied to the harmonica?

I do not know if modifying the overtone sequence significantly is possible or if it would greatly improve the sound of equal temperament chords, but I certainly support anyone who is willing to make the effort to find out. And I would like to hear about any research in this area, past or ongoing.

Doug, I don't think Dr. Marino is talking about the interaction between multiple reeds tuned to different temperaments. I know I wasn't. I think we are referring to the overtones produced by the vibration of a single reed. As I understand it, those are the overtones Dr. Marino wants to remove. Right, Dr. Marino?

Thanks,

Michelle