Re: Subject: [Harp-L] sale

Although Chris doesn't plan to attend SPAH, you will be able to check out some of his wares.

I will be playing a Hands-Free-Chromatic at open-mic.  I will have an Ergonomic-Neck-Rack which will be for sale.  Chris's brass, corian, dymondwood, and aluminum combs for MB Deluxe will be used with others in Brendan Power's Materials Seminar.  They will be for sale at the conclusion of the seminar.

The seminar  is scheduled for Wednesday 1:00 to 3:00.    It is planned to reveal the impressions of blindfolded players of different comb materials in the same harmonica.  Brendan has recruited an outstanding roster of six players: Dave Barrett, Brandon Bailey, Chris Michalek, Alex Paclin, Jimi Lee, and Cara Cooke.  Winslow Yerxa and Michelle LeFree will assist with the proceedings.

Visit Brendan's website for more information: http://www.brendan-power.com/    (click on "Comb Test")

A brass 270 comb will not fit a CX12.  Because they were designed for different methods of manufacture, the combs are very different.

Because the 270 comb is designed to be machined of wood, it is very simple and easily replicated in other materials. The same is true of many diatonic combs.

The CX12 comb is designed for injection molding...squirting hot liquid plastic into a steel mold.  The comb is removed from the mold after the liquid has solidified but before it has cooled completely.  The solidification and cooling takes place at different rates in thick and thin cross sections of the comb and can cause distortions.  The designers contrive to avoid any thick parts by using many elaborate holes and recesses.  This makes the design very complex.  It is extremely difficult and expensive to replicate.  Not only that, but the comb is part of the slide mechanism and the reedplates are recessed. For these reasons, you are unlikely to find a custom comb for a CX12.

Vern