Re: Subject: [Harp-L] An Amazing Performance

Hey Elizabeth,

I'm sure you have noticed that many on this list are somewhat "gear obsessed." I'm not sure if I fall into that category, but as a performing musician who is forced to deal with amps and mics and feedback and such at every single gig, I can certainly understand where Rick was coming from in his post.

Gear for amped harp is often a complex and hugely frustrating endeavor since most amps are not made to amplify harmonicas, and only a very small percentage of the equipment that's out there does the job well.

We who are forced to deal with equipment on a regular basis, often come to believe that the better the equipment, the better the sound (an understandable notion, I'm sure). We also come to believe (through bad-night experiences) that cheap equipment will sometimes get in the way or even sabotage an otherwise fine performance, piss off your band mates, and result in patrons running from the room holding their ears in pain.

Rick's intent, I'm pretty sure, was that Clay's feat was all the MORE amazing, DESPITE the fact that he was using cheap equipment. Typically cheap equipment acts as a huge detriment to a performance.

Clay is an outstanding player, a genuinely GREAT human being and a personal friend of mine. I happen to know that he owns all sorts of amps and gear (including vintage, and expensive boutique harp-specific gear). The fact that he CHOSE to use cheap equipment and it produced the sound he wanted, is indeed amazing.

I know that Rick has the utmost respect for Clay as a player and as a person, and I truly believe that your attack on him -- insinuating that he believes that the cheap equipment was the most important factor in Clay's well deserved victory -- was patently unfair on every level.

Your perspective, of listening to a performer and giving no thought to the equipment being employed, is typical of people who do not often (or ever) have to deal with equipment themselves. When I go see a show, say RiverDance for example, I don't dwell on the equipment being used either. Not one particle of thought. It's ALL about the performances I'm seeing.

But when I see a show where a guy is playing amped harmonica, I ALWAYS pay attention what equipment is being used, and try to understand how the performer is getting the sound they're getting because that's something I am personally involved with.

Okay, I've had my say.
Peace.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.