============================

From: Jim Fitting <jfitting@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:20:37 -0400

It is a sad day, for he was one of the great ones. He was a huge influence on me when I was first coming up. I had the good fortune to see him with the Stampede a number of times in the 70's. The most memorable night was at the Great American Music Hall with the Roy Rodgers, Dave Burgin duo opening the show. Talk about a harmonica clinic. That band was incredible and I was truly disappointed when Loving In The Valley of The Moon came out because I felt it didn't come close to the brilliance of their live shows. Nevertheless I burned through two or three vinyl copies trying to learn his licks. I mean he was my hero. The first song I learned on chromatic was his beautiful composition Puerto de Azul. I had a band that opened for him once at the Inn of The Beginning in Cotati, and we had that full 40's suits and hats look that the Stampede used to wear. I was too shy embarassed and overwhelmed to introduce myself, but I will never forget how some stoned-out chick mistook me for him after our set, and started to telling how she loved my playing...She must have been pretty high I tell you what.
Remember that solo he takes on Bonnie Raitt's Runaway? I saw him do it live with her at the Greek Theater in Berkley one time, switching all 4 harmonicas two times through and ending up on his knees right in front of Bonnie. What a showman. What a player. What a loss.
JIM