[Harp-L] re: tuning/temperaments

Iceman writes:

"I dunno. That "nice bit of propaganda" feels like a weird comment. Guess it's just your opinion or something. Perfect Imperfect intervals is how this aspect of temperament is considered, labeled and discussed when learning the fine art of piano tuning. I didn't make up the terminology."

I didn't say you made it up. That doesn't mean it's not propaganda and isn't relatively meaningless. Yes it is my opinion, I never claimed otherwise.

Equal temperaments are uniform, no more no less. Calling it a "perfect imperfect interval" is a nice sales pitch, but that's about all.

I prefer to use non-weighted terms whenever possible. Beatless interval instead of "pure" interval, for instance. This is an example of that. It is all too easy to start to give value judgments simply by using loaded terms. It leads to the assumptions like JI=chord playing and ET=melody for the diatonic. The chords in something like 7-limit JI will sound more smooth, but they aren't necessarily better than those in 12TET, just a different musical choice. They are no more "pure" or "perfect" than those in 12TET, so I think it's best to avoid those types of descriptions. And sometimes playing a melody in 7-limit JI which clashes with the backing band might be exactly what the music calls for.

JR Ross