Re: [Harp-L] blowing rags

James Conway wrote:
<I've recently been playing a regular gig at a barbeque joint here in Chicago and I'm <blowing harp with a great fingerpicker(John Hasbrouck) who plays a lot of ragtime <pieces(III-VI-II-V-I changes). I'm stuck in a first-position rut where I'm mostly on <the upper register using a lot of blow bends. It works but everybody ,including <myself, is sick of the same old riffs I'm spitting out. This is new territory for me <and I would appreciate any tips(positions, techniques, attitudes, etc) to improve my <ragtime soloing. I think I recall in my travels somebody saying that 12th/1st flat <position is good for this. I know on Levy's instructional video he dissected Sweet <Georgia Brown and explained some stuff, but I don't have the tape anymore. Any help <will be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim, try using a country-tuned harp--Richter standard with draw 5 reed raised 1/2 step.  Opens up a lot of chord possibilities, will allow you to use the diatonic with the right harmonies in 2nd position.  Also, given the chord changes you mention above, a Melody Maker tuning is an obvious choice--it can cover all those chords in 2nd position.  These tunings are not radically different form standard Richter, should take no time at all to learn them.  Also, both tunings are available off the shelf (Hohner Spec 20 for country tuning, Lee Oskar for Melody Maker), which is generally more fun than doing them yourself.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter