[Harp-L] blowing rags

Hi group!

I've recently been playing a regular gig at a barbeque joint here in Chicago and I'm blowing harp with a great fingerpicker(John Hasbrouck) who plays a lot of ragtime pieces(III-VI-II-V-I changes). I'm stuck in a first-position rut where I'm mostly on the upper register using a lot of blow bends. It works but everybody ,including myself, is sick of the same old riffs I'm spitting out. This is new territory for me and I would appreciate any tips(positions, techniques, attitudes, etc) to improve my ragtime soloing. I think I recall in my travels somebody saying that 12th/1st flat position is good for this. I know on Levy's instructional video he dissected Sweet Georgia Brown and explained some stuff, but I don't have the tape anymore. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

cheers,
Jim Conway

harp3333@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.jamesconway.net