Re: [Harp-L] F Minor at a blues jam

That'd be an Eb harp in 3rd or Ab harp in 4th. 3rd is pretty easy to get around in, but I like 4th because it lets me hit the 5 below the tonic. To me, 3rd is good for minor blues and 4th is more of a melodic jazz sound, just considering where the notes lay and my admittedly limited expertise. Some examples of common minor tunes would be Summertime, which lays really nicely in 4th, or St. James Infirmary, which lays really nicely in 3rd.

Seth

gmmsi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I was at a jam last night--just finished 2 blues songs--doing pretty good--up pops a song I'd never heard in F minor--wasn't exactly sure what to do--3rd position?--ps had no minor tunings

--
Seth Galitzer

The beatings will continue until morale has improved.