Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:27:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] What other instruments do you play? -
Understanding harmony
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Paying a chordal instrument is important to understanding the harmony
against which you improvise, so your study of guitar is a very good idea.

once or twice I've brought new jazz harmonica players to the attention of
Toots Thielemans. The first question he asks is, "Does he play a chordal
instrument?" He feels that he can hear in an improviser's playing whether
or not that improviser has an understanding of harmony gained from
actually playing chord progressions.

Winlsow

Winslow Yerxa