Re: [Harp-L] Crate amp

Robert Breeden wrote:
<Does anyone know how to make a crate v5 amp sound down and dirty ie ,
<Thick tube amp sound , Fender bassman .
<Are there any pedals that might help ? a tube amp pedal etc.

Robert,

Tony Eyers recommended that you get a Digitech RP250 or 350 plus my patch set, and while I think that's a great idea, it won't give you what you're looking for from the Crate.  In fact, I wouldn't use any amp modeler in front of a tube amp, unless you turn off the amp modeling and just use the effects. In general, the RPs should be used as a front end to a keyboard amp or PA, unless you're only using it for the reverbs, delays, and other effects--which is fine, and it's certainly an economical way to get a ton of effects, but it's not going to make your Crate sound like a Bassman.

Here are a few ideas for the Crate, roughly in order of increasing expense:

1) Make sure you're using the Gain control effectively on the Crate.  More gain = more crunch.
2) Use the line out on the Crate to connect the amp to your PA, which will allow you to get a bigger sound.
3) Swap out the 12AX7 preamp tube in the Crate for a 12AY7.
4) Replace the Crate's speaker with a Weber or other heavier-duty 8" speaker.  Better yet, see the next item on this list.
5) Have an amp tech put a jack for an external speaker on the Crate, so you can add a speaker cabinet with a 10" or 12" speaker.  You're never going to get a sound like a Bassman, which has four 10" speakers, out of an amp with a single 8" speaker.
6) Lone Wolf makes a pedal that adds a lot of punch and low end to any tube amp.  I think it retails for around $125.  See http://www.lwharpamps.com/tone.html.  Stephen Schneider has posted to this list on a couple of occasions with links to videos of him performing with this pedal.

Good luck and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter