[Harp-L] Paying the pipers

After laying down a harp track for a local musician's cd recently I got the urge to put out my own cd in about 2 years.
I figure by that time I will have the money, songs and players lined up for the recording.

While I've offered my services gratis for this (no money was mentioned) and another cd (non-profit cd so nobody got paid) I was wondering how the rest of you handled paying local players as guest on your solo or band projects? It's hard to figure out who would do it for free and who would expect to be paid.

I plan on setting aside money and thought about letting them know upfront what I can afford per song in case they were expecting to be paid. I know some musician friends will do it for free but I need to enlist singers as well who may not want to do it for free.

Finding the best players to interpret the songs is more important to me then just throwing together a bunch of guys to put out a cd.
Several of the local players play on the national blues and jazz stage and have their own recordings so I need to respect their ability to
bring something to the project.

Also what is expected when you bring in a producer to help with the arranging? I never met the musician whose cd I played on. Only his producer.

You can reply online in case it will help other players wanting to put out a cd.

thanks

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com