Re: [Harp-L] tube preamp vyer. Digitech

"Tom Halchak" wrote:
<I would like to start recording onto my PC.  Per the recommendations of
<others here on harp-l I have downloded the Audacity software, but I also see
<on Tony Eyer's HarmonicaAcademy.com that he recommends the use of a preamp.
<Independently, I have also been considering the purchase of a Digitech
<RP350.  If I was to purchase the RP350, could that serve the purpose of the
<preamp for recording onto my PC?  Or is this not an apples to apples
<comparison?

There are really two pieces of gear at issue here--a preamp, which is needed to produce a mic signal at an appropriate level for recording, and an audio interface, which is needed to input the signal to the PC.

The RP350 combines a decent preamp with a decent USB audio interface, and it will certainly do the job.  I've used my RP350 as both an amp modeler and audio interface for recording guitar with very good results.  Daddys.com is now selling used RP350s in very good to excellent condition for less than $125 with a 15-day moneyback guarantee.  If you step down to the RP250, you can get used ones in excellent condition for less than $75, and that device has the same audio interface features as the RP350.  However, if you can afford the very little extra money, I'd go for the RP350--that device gives you a LOT more control over high frequency EQ than the 250, and that's where you need the control the most where harp is concerned.  The 350 also has a couple of modeled tube preamps in it, which is nice for recording acoustic harp sounds.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter