[Harp-L] impedance transformers

Paul,

As a long time devotee of non-bullet style mics for harmonica, I have more than casual experience with XLR>1/4 inch impedance matching transformers. In my experience, the Radio Shack and Shure units each work fine, but both are much longer than a standard 1/4 inch plug as it protrudes from the input jack of your amp and are even more lengthy when the output of the XLR cord is connected to them. This creates leverage that will put significant pressure on the input jack if the cord is pulled or the transformer is bumped (as inevitably happens) which can damage the jack on the amp and/or bend the input plug on the transformer. Accordingly, it may be preferable he to use a "rat tail" transformer on which the XLR receptor is separated from the 1/4" jack with a short length of mic cord, so only the 1/4 inch plug protrudes from the jack on the amp. Peavey makes one and I am sure other manufacturers do as well. I also find that they are a little easier to handle and carry around.

Some say that there's differing quality among IMTs, but all of the impedance matching transformers i have ever used sound fine and about the same EXCEPT the rat tail transformer made by Audix. The one i tried produced a very weak signal that was significantly diminished in volume and tone. I don't know if the particular Audix transformer i tried was a defective unit or if they are all that way.

JP