Re: [Harp-L] new Hohner Crossover comments

It's hard to tune a harp when the notes in the upper register play sharper, the harder you blow. Hohner harps have been doing that for awhile now. I'm checking out some other brands to see how they are.

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike peace" <mmpeace@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 6:12 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] new Hohner Crossover comments

I received my first Hohner crossover yesterday and i had a few comments. I am a pro player and also repair and customize my own harps. I play mainly marine bands and special 20's. The harp i received is an "f" in a nice case, very good workmanship, loud responsive tone, easy bending, air tight, and very responsive.
However the tuning was not so hot. The first 6 holes were tuned at about "443" in equal temperment, holes 7-10 were sharp and all over the place. I was expecting it to be tuned in just intonation like the marine band i guess, Overall i would give Hohner an "A-" for workmanship,playability, and tone, but a "C- or D" on tuning. Once i get it retuned, it will be as good as my modified marine bands , but i think for a $60 harp, they need to do a better job on the tuning.