[Harp-L] Swinging Guitar player

' You can always play between a shuffle

' and a swing.B  We call these "swiffles".B  Have him try some rhumbas or
2-beats

' to move away from the 1&3.

Yes this is a good idea IMO. Even some very recognisable rhythms  that while
not actually swing will get him doing different things like 'Bo Diddley'
songs (I love sining a version of Resurrection Shuffle in a Bo Diddley
rhythm). And if he has an aversion to doing 'swing', call them something
else like Jump. How about some songs where the melody is so strong they
can't be played any other way like T-Bone shuffle or Caladonia. Most of all
keep it fun. You will lose him if it is hard work.
Also you could point out how some of the rockiest rock bands where pretty
close to swing like 'Deep Purple'. I reckon they really swang at times. Or
is that just me.
Look guitarist keep presuming they can educate us, time we got our own back.
I hate it when a guitarist tells me which harp to use. I say to them it's
like me telling them which string to play on.

Cheers,
Chris Canning