Re: [Harp-L] Which harp mic is most feedback resistant?

Hi, Vern

yeah, I tried to keep quiet but GEEZ! I have the luxury of getting to play with many, many mics and elements in the course of my work, so I think I've learned a little something. I'll try to answer your questions:

Why have electrets not found favor among harmonica players?

Nothing wrong with them for chrom/acoustic - however they can easily sound harsh if overdriven, and even when not they are certainly not as "warm" as some other mics. But they work!

Does a mic with lots of overhead preclude the distortion that many players seek?

I think you mean headroom? Yes - the Fireball is a perfect example. I hate it. Why? It takes away one of the great expressive variables I have under my control, which is tonal change based on cupping technique. That mic has very high headroom (140dB) so even when cupped tightly it doesn't distort. People who play through digital effects boxes to manufacture their tone for them like this mic, because it is predictable. It is very good at what it does - I just don't like it personally for that reason - some times I WANT to induce a distorted sound.

Cheers!

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net