RE: [Harp-L] New to Octave and Delay pedals

don peer wrote:
<Rule #1: If the effect makes the signal noisier, don't place it before amplifying <and gain devices.
<
<Rule #2: Put coloring effects after amplifying and gain devices.
<
<Rule #3: There are no rules. That is, the above rules may be bent when you want a <certain effect. But understand the trade-offs you make in noise and performance.
<
<That said, general practice is to place modulation effects (octave) before time <effects (delay). For more on the signal chain, look at Crash Course On Guitar <Effects by Joe Bennett (ISBN 0-634-07309-5).

This is all good advice.  One minor caveat: generally speaking, I try to distinguish "modulation" devices like phase-shifters, flangers, chorus, and filters from pitch shifters and harmonizers.  I'd usually put the pitch shifting (and distortion, as per Don's comments on gain devices) in front of the modulation devices, then the time-based devices like delay and reverb.

However, also as per Don's comments, you get different sounds by switching the order up. One of my favorite recorded sounds was a DoD Heavey Metal distortion box placed after a Boss BF-2 flanger.  That sound twisted like a snake and had more edge on it than King Arthur's sword.  Similarly, it's very common in electronic styles to put modulation effects after reverb and delay in the signal chain to add some life to the time-based effects.

It doesn't take a lot of time to switch the cables around and see what happens.  Sure is fun, unless the resulting feedback brings the cops to your house.  That reminds me: the first time you try a particular chain, turn the volume down.

The main rule is always this: human beings are built from birth to pay attention to the things that change in their environment, and to downplay the importance of anything that's not moving (in space, volume, timbre, etc.).  So if you want a sound to stand out, make it change over time; if you want a sound to move into the background, make it stay the same.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter