RE: [Harp-L] Figuring Sharps in Keys

Geoff,
I'm still trying to get this down myself in terms of memory, but there are two things that helped me understand it:

1) The major scales follow the same pattern--start on any note and the scale equals:
W-W-H-W-W-W-H (W=whole step; H=half step -- if you picture a keyboard including both the black & white keys, a whole step would be two keys and a half would be one key--e.g., there is no black key between an E and an F note, so going from E to F is a half step).

2) The circle of fifths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths). Start with C, count up 5 notes (including C) and you add a sharp for that scale. Count up 5 more and add another sharp for the next scale. But wait, which sharp? Well, you can memorize them or you can use the pattern above in #1.
E.g., You want an A scale. You have A... W-W-H-W-W-W-H would equal

It sounds complicated, but it's not that bad, especially if you visualize it with a keyboard.

Good luck,
Marc