[Harp-L] 2 X 8" vs. 1 10"

Paul,

Personally, I would strongly prefer one 10, but depends on what type of sound you are after. Assuming you are using a tube electric guitar amp, the 8’s will give you a more distorted crunchier sound which some players like. The 8’s will also have more treble which may sound harsh. The 10 will be more punchy and more focused, but with texture, and you can make it distort if you want to. I happen to think 10s respond well to the frequency characteristics of a harp played into a cupped mic and intereact particualarly well with mic grip/handling technique. You can get a wider range of sounds out of a 10, but if you like a lot of crunch and distortion, you will certainly get that more easily from 8s.

Now, if you are playing into an acoustic guitar amp or a keyboard that has 8s (or a 10) and a tweeter, the above doesn’t apply since you will probably get a cleaner tone no matter what the speaker configuration is. And, in my experience, for harmonica, two 8s in a bass amp will sound pretty much the same as one 10.

In the final analysis it depends on how you want to sound for your style of playing.

FWIW.

JP