Re: [Harp-L] Villa-Lobos at Teatro Amazonas

Robert Bonfiglio wrote:
<Just so you know, when I amplify, I use a 16 channel Sennheisser
<wireless unit with a MKE 2 lapel mic.  Easy to put receiver and mic
<in luggage.
<
<So here is the Official Government statement on the Teatro Amazonas
<Opera House:
<A Ãtima acÃstica do Teatro Amazonas. dispensa o uso de amplificadores
<para. espetÃculos com instrumentos acÃsticos, corais,. cantos lÃricos
<e outros. ..
<
<As you can see, they take pride in the acoustics and dispense with
<the need for amplification.  But trust me, if I didn't feel I could
<carry the Orchestra, I would have gone to my wireless mic
<immediately.

We all know that Robert can carry the orchestra.  Indeed, Robert has carried a lot of water for harmonica players everywhere by showing some of the most highly trained and serious musicians in the world that the instrument he carries onstage has the goods to deliver on anybody's terms.

It's pointless to ask why so many classical orchestras and musicians are so enamored of 18th and 19th century technologies and approaches.  It's like asking why so many blues harp players are so enamored of Green Bullets and Kalamazoo amps.  It's what they do, it's well worth doing, and they do it well.  Before you can show them what can be done by thinking differently about the music and the technology, you have to prove that you can do it on their terms.

And that's what Robert does when he stands up in front of a big orchestra with nothing but the harmonica in his hands: he delivers on the same terms that classical virtuosos have met for centuries.  He puts the harmonica at the center of a hallowed tradition.  He does it for himself and for all of us.  When Robert does what he does, he makes me proud that I play the same instrument.  And I'm grateful.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter