Re: [Harp-L] Villa-Lobos at Teatro Amazonas

On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Robert Bonfiglio wrote:

Roger Gonzales and many others wrote:

Robert,
Why don't you choose to use some type of mic system? Even if just to help you a small
amount. There must be something that will allow you to concentrate on other aspect of the
concerto and not so much the volume of things.
Just curious. break a leg.

Classical music as an idiom takes pride in having players perform in a hall with good acoustics and no amplification. If the harmonica is capable of playing acoustically with volume and power, then it's sort of "step up to the plate." If we wish our instrument to complete with others, we have to prove that it is worthy.

So, the idiom takes pride in having players perform with no amplification. Does this mean that even though we are a couple hundred years FROM the classical era, (an era that had no amplification), that amplification is taboo? Sounds rather Amish to me. lolol. Why is it necessary to be UNproud when using amplification? So, the harmonica can't compete unless it is played unamplified? So, the amplified harmonica is UNworthy? I don't understand this klepto which dictates that the only way to play classical music is unamplified. Did Adler play unamplified? What am I missing?

I feel it's an honor to show other orchestral musicians just what the harmonica can do and if that makes for more work, well welcome to the world.

I'm confused, why would you have to show other orchestral musicians anything other than the ability to play?
smo-joe

Harmonica players have nothing to be embarrassed about when it comes to our chosen instrument.

harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com