Re: [Harp-L] How to remove reed plate corrosion

Hey, all of you Harp-L harp mechanics -

I was gifted with a bag of old Marine Band harps by a former teacher. What nice gift!

I'm in the process of sealing the combs and replacing the nails with screws. The problem I've run into is that since the harps are well-used, most of the reed plates have some degree of corrosion; some have a little, some have a bunch. I'm concerned that the corrosion will confound my efforts to seal the air leaks. Can anyone suggest a way to remove that ugly corrosion? I've mechanically scraped much of it off, but much still remains visible.

Is there a chemical solution or brass polish, etc. that I could soak the reedplates in to get rid of that gunk? Or am I stuck with just scraping away? I am worried that I'll slip with my brass feeler gauge that I'm using for a scraper and wreck some reeds. Don't wanna do dat!

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Michelle