[Harp-L] My thoughts on harmonica tablature

Whenever I see a request for tablature on Harp-l the old fart in me kicks in and I grouse to myself "Just pick up the damned instrument and work out the tune."

But then I recall that 10 years ago, 30 years into my playing life, I bought Glenn Weiser's terrific book of Irish Fiddle Tunes for Harmonica. I learned a few pieces from there, strictly by tab. I've linked a recording I did of one of those pieces at:

http://www.harmonicaguitar.com/The%20Road%20To%20Lisdoonvarna.mp3

(I've changed the articulations and phrasing to suit my view of the melody, and added a few notes, so don't blame Weiser.)

But those were tunes I didn't know. For the most part I only heard them for the first time as I played them out of Weiser's book.

Learning tunes you actually know on harp WITHOUT tab is a great skill, one that broadens your playing in every way. I don't know a single player that I'd describe as intermediate who can't do this. I can't recommend this skill enough for newer players. So here's my suggestion to newer players when you realize that you want some tab to learn a tune on harp: give it at least two to five hours of trying to figure out the piece on your own with the harp in your mouth before you go searching for tab on the internet.

For most players, after one or two tunes you'll never look for tab again. You'll hear a tune, you'll play it.

Here are some extra benefits to working this way.
1. You'll probably work your first tunes out without the sneaky little details that really bring the piece to life. After you've worked out the tune for yourself, THEN go get good, authoritative tab and learn the sneaky bits, and you'll start learning the level of detail that really great playing often entails.

2. While working tunes out you'll make mistakes. Some of those mistakes, a few of them, will sound really cool. Those mistake licks belong to you. Learn them well and use them.

Many of my best guitar rhythms emerged while I was trying to copy a groove I heard on a record. I never came CLOSE to mimicking that groove before a completely different groove emerged, and it belonged to ME.

Ken