Re: [Harp-L] For you amp players... a short questionaire

For you amp players... a short questionaire

Q_ In a harp amp, do you generally prefer an amp with a master volume or one without?

A) No master

Q) -Do you prefer an amp with one channel or two? What is the reason for a second channel?

A) Two channels is useful for Daisy Chaining amps, which reduces feedback, so in that case the second amp is not an "extra" amp, it's part of the back-line 2-amp no-feedback set-up. Use a delay pedal (DD3) in-line from amp #1 to amp #2 with just a very slight delay. That creates a situation where the microphone may "hear" the sound but there are actually two separate signals and niether amp will hear it's own signal and feed back to it. Learned that one from Mark Hummel. He never explained it that way, but I asked him once about the two amps and he just said it helps with feedback. After I thought about it some, it seemed obvious to me why it is so effective.

Q) Do you prefer seperate bass and treble controls or a single tone control?
A) Separate treble MIDDLE and bass controls

Q) What is the perfect feature mix for a harp amp? What controls do you need most?
A) On-Off & Volume.

Other nice features:
Standby
separate Treble, Middle, and Bass tonestack
Vintage Fender Spring reverb is very useful,
two channels (see above)
and I also like having an AC receptacle on the back of the amp which switches on and off with the polarity toggle. That switch was disconnected from the AC line when the three-wire grounded cord was installed. I use it to power my pedalboards.

I have never played thru a custom amplifier made specifically for harp. So take my preferences with that caveat. I play thru a '68 BF'd Super Reverb and a Kalamazoo2. With a small pedalboard: SuperComp, Two-Timer, and GE-7. Hot bullet mics, JT-30's and Vintage Green bullets with vintage CMs. Also a SM-58 with a shure C25G.

PEACE
Splash