Re: [Harp-L] For you amp players... a short questionaire

_Q_ (mailto:bluesharpamps@Q) ) -In  a harp amp, do you generally prefer an
amp with a master volume or one  without?

A) Doesn't matter (to me) at all.
-----
Q) -Do you prefer an amp with one channel or two?  What is the  reason for a
second channel?

A) Two channels is useful. It gives an alternative... Always good to  have
that option. Also handy to "daisy chain" an extra amp!

Q) Do you prefer seperate bass and treble controls or a single tone
control?
A) I like simplicity... But a separate treble and bass control adds
options.

Q) What is the perfect feature mix for a harp amp?  What  controls do you
need
most?
A) The sound is the thing... A rubbish harp amp is bad no matter how many
knobs it has!

I quite like a spring reverb.,  My 1960s TRANSISTOR Vox Supreme 100  Watt
top... badged as 200 Watt... But that was "peak power". It  had "Wah"  and
"Fuzz" built in as well as reverb and tremelo, and I LOVED that amp, even
though it fed back most of the time... I bought it NEW at a big  discount when
Jennings Musical Industries (The Vox founder  company) went bust in about
1967. I used My Vox  Supreme EXCLUSIVELY as my harmonica amp from 1968 until
about 1991...   I still haven't found any amp I liked better for harmonica,
and it wasn't  even a "tube" amp! But it was big and heavy. I used it with
two 2 x 12"  cabs. ( With Goodman speakers)

Perhaps good advice is.... work with the amp that you have, whatever  it is.
LEARN how to use it. Most amps have a harmonica "sweet spot", or several...
 Sometimes it takes a while to find that sweet spot. Also different mics
suit  different amplifiers. And YES tube amps CAN be better for harmonica, but
 solid state amps can rock too. And they can be much more portable, and
much less  expensive.
I have done MANY recording sessions over the past 10 years or  so just
using the smallest  battery powered "Pig  Nose"  solid state amp... GREAT sound
at very low volume, and no  background hum AT ALL. Recording engineers LOVE
that! And it has NO tone  controls.

Best wishes
John Whiteboy Walden
Cebu City
Philippines

PS.. Here in the Philippines I don't have my own harp  amp just now.... I
simply use what ever is available at the  venue.
John.