Re: [Harp-L] Quality & price discussion

On 27.05.2009, at 20:48, Tom Albanese wrote:

Steve and others,

I've tried many many different brands and models of diatonic harmonicas. For the bulk of my years as a player I've relied mostly on Hohner products and within that brand, mostly Marine Bands, both custom and out of the box. For the last two years or so however, I veered off into Seydel 1847s. At first I thought that I'd found something in the 1847s that would make me switch brands permanently but after what I feel was a fair trial period I've abandoned those and am back playing Hohners again. (Man this is getting expensive!)

Times being what they are I really can't justify the expense of custom MBs right now so I decided to try Marine Band Deluxe harps. Having read both very positive and very negative comments on the MBD I considered it to be a bit of a gamble to go that route, but I bought four of them anyway (ADG&C) thinking what the hell, I need some new harps so I might as well roll the dice. My initial impression is that I think they are very good harps. They seem to be carefully crafted and respond quite well for me after a few tweaks on the reeds. I have only one complaint/question: Why do the reed plates protrude so far past the comb? I've been playing MBs for over 30 years and it's never been quite so apparent an issue to me. These MBDs have reed plates that feel like dull knife blades in my mouth. Are they all like that or did I just happen to get an odd batch? I've tried fine grit emery cloth on them but after a few hundred strokes it didn't seem to make much difference. What can I do to correct this issue? Thanks.

tom albanese

http://www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal

I know some people have a problem with the issue of the reed plates protruding beyond the covers, but it's very easily fixed. If it's the protusion rather than the edges of the plates which bothers you, as your remarks would suggest, why not try loosening the reed plate screws and pushing the comb further forward so that the edges of the plates don't protrude so far, then tighten the reed plate screws again. That's what I do, anyway, hope it helps,

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com