Re: [Harp-L] Quality & price discussion

Do I detect any snide remarks here Joe?

On 27.05.2009, at 01:43, Joe and Cass Leone wrote:

On May 26, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Steve Baker wrote:

I can well understand how the variable quality of stock harmonicas annoys purchasers, it annoys me too. I'd like to provide some background on Hohner harmonicas, which may help people understand how these things happen and may also also be relevant for other brands:

You don't have to explain Steverino. The harmonicas are fine.

How nice that you think so, but judging by the Suzuki rant thread, plenty of peope appear to be of a different opinion, which is why I made the effort to to explain this from the manufacturer's point of view.

Hohner harmonicas are not manufactured mechanically, they are made by hand. This exacting work involves extremely close tolerances which have to be judged very rapidly by eye during the manufacturing process. There is a clear possibility of human error here and this is reflected in a degree of variation in quality. Diatonic harps are produced in very large numbers at Hohner and quality control consists of blowing them mechanically. Anything else is technically illegal due to hygiene laws

Ok, here's where we part ways. I understand that the harps are made by women & girls, Mainly because they have smaller hands and are dextrous and prone to be able to do tedious repititios work. (see counted cross stitch, needle point, petit-point, crochet, lace hooking, blah blah..all of which my wife does).

Now I would have NO problem with these females doing the harps with their breath. AND, even though they may look like a grandma haus frau, all you have to do is place a picture of a German teenaged girl in the harps package. She should be blonde, have pigtails, blue eyes, and the note should say: 'Tested by..........Hildegarde (or Gretchen, Ilse, Bergitta). :) And. to be honest, I wouldn't care if it was a teenaged boy either........as long as he was cute.

Wow, extremely dodgy stereotypes, shame! Only a competent player can test a harp more accurately than a mechanical bellows. If the men and women who build harmonicas play at all, they don't play the blues, so they can't really judge if a bent note squeaks or not, for example. There is a training scheme to teach staff to bend & OB but it'll presumably take a while and the numbers involved make it impossible to test the entire production anyway.

It's sad that players appear only too ready to believe that manufacturers don't care about their interests and are only interested in gouging them.

We don't all feel that way. I don't have any problems with the current state of affairs. It won't change MY life.

I would have thought that the fact that harmonica manufacturers routinely employ dedicated players such as myself or Brendan Power is a clear indication that across the board they place a very high value on the wishes and needs of their customers and are prepared to spend considerable sums on improving both their products and their communication with players.

On the other hand, I have heard (from others, you understand) that some people think you guys are on the lists to 'keep tabs'.

Too right mate, especially on you ;-)
I could always lurk and read it secretly, reporting to my masters instead of responding, if you prefer. It would certainly save a lot of time. I also wasn't talking about list membership but about manufacturers employing serious players

Steve

www.stevebaker.de www.bluesculture.com