Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 gapping

I basically deal with the stainless reeds in the same manner as brass, but they do require a little "more" of whatever it takes. So, in gapping I tend to move the reed a little more, plink a little more, and do the whole process a little more. It is really essential to plink reeds after gapping (any kind of reeds, but especially the stainless steel-- but all reeds have a memory effect...), and with 3-5 good plinks, the reed will settle back toward it's starting position. So then gap again, plink again, etc. Eventually the reed will stay here you want it after plinking. Then if tuning is required I would preferably wait 24 hours to tune.

Hope this helps,

Rupert Oysler
www.seydelusa.com

blues62 wrote:
I've the same problem. I was told that steel reeds have a "memory" effect.
I've not solved the problem so far. So, may somebody has some good
suggestions about that...