Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki's Fabulus....Rant...

On May 25, 2009, at 11:48 PM, fjm wrote:

"this is so ridiculous" Does this mean I'm being ridiculed?

No, not at all. The man said something like "Is it unfair to expect a $50.oo harmonica to be playable". And I said 'This is ridiculous". Meaning Of COURSE it isn't unfair. It's ridiculous to think that it's unfair to expect a reasonably workable product.

Not trusting Joe's seat of the pants math I went to the inflation calculator and typed in a value of $2.25 and the year 1927. The closest year to current I could plug in was 2007. That $2.25 Marine Band Deluxe should cost $27.01 in 2007.

But a Marine Band didn't cost $2.25 in 1927. In other words, with inflation, IF a Marine Band cost $2.25 in 1927, it would be $27.01 today. OR, to extrapolate farther: IF a marine band were $.45 (45 cents) in 1927...which it probably WAS, the cost today would only be $5.40. I call your attention to milk, eggs, bread, sugar, flour, soup. In the 43 years that I have been married these items have only tripled, while diatonics have gone up tenfold. Chromos a little less. I was paying $25.oo for a 64 around 1973. So 36 years later, they have gone up sevenfold.

We all know even a plain Jane Marine Band has a higher list price than that. I'm not sure what if anything this has to do with the point I was attempting to make but it's interesting. Harmonicas cost more adjusted for inflation than they used to.

I think we still have the same remedy for unplayable harmonicas we've always had. Send them to the manufacturer and they'll come back adjusted. I would expect a $50 harmonica to be playable. I wouldn't expect every single one of them to be the same because experience has taught me they are not. Mommy Mommy I can't stop running in circles. I'm begining to see why Jeff is frustrated and with that I will bow out of this thread, now and for forever. fjm I know you are but what am I?