Martin
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 08:03:43 -0700
From: fjm <>

If I read correctly Jeff's latest communications to the list it seems as
if what he is objecting to is not a particular reed set up per se but
that the range of factory set ups is so wide and inconsistent.  In the
case of a $50 instrument that might be an unfair expectation.  I also
don't think this is the nature of a free reed instrument.  Joe Spiers
offers products that will play over a much wider range of inputs than a
stock instrument will.  Tombo does a good job of manufacturing both
assembled harmonicas and reed plates that are within a fairly narrow
tolerance.  Not that I'd play one without regapping it but I certainly
would not be afraid to step out in front of an audience with an out of
the box Lee Oskar.  fjm