RE: [Harp-L] Suzuki's Fabulus....Rant...

> If I read correctly Jeff's latest communications to the list it seems as
> if what he is objecting to is not a particular reed set up per se but
> that the range of factory set ups is so wide and inconsistent. In the
> case of a $50 instrument that might be an unfair expectation. I also
> don't think this is the nature of a free reed instrument. Joe Spiers
> offers products that will play over a much wider range of inputs than a
> stock instrument will. Tombo does a good job of manufacturing both
> assembled harmonicas and reed plates that are within a fairly narrow
> tolerance. Not that I'd play one without regapping it but I certainly
> would not be afraid to step out in front of an audience with an out of
> the box Lee Oskar. fjm

Ha, well there you are you see!   I use Lee Oskars a lot and I can ~guarantee~ that a new one, or new set of reed-plates, will need attention to at least two or three gaps before I can rely on 'em not to choke on me.  New SP20s, on the other hand, are more likely, though not guaranteed, to be about right for me.  I cheerfully expect that a new harp will need tweaking, and I also think that a harp so-tweaked, with its investment of just a little TLC from me, is a far more satisfying beast to own and to play.  Whilst I take the point about inconsistency, I must say that the amount I encounter with the three main harps I buy (the above two plus Suzuki Bluesmasters) is pretty small.   I don't think that's too bad at all for stuff costing twenty quid.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/