Re: [Harp-L] Re: what keys?

On May 24, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Splash wrote:

I used to chart out the changes and who was going to get the solos when,
back while I was playing Jazz (Saxophone).

Charting the changes is fine. (Also smart). WOW, you played sax....ya'know, it doesn't surprise me. You're too cool.

We all knew the basic melodies
anyway. We used those charts during rehearsal religiously. But when I was
doing my solo in performance... in the heat of battle... I never looked at
it.

Right, about that time you should be on rote mode.

Only when the other guys were doing their solos, I'd glance down to see
what bar we were on and what was coming next.

Smart man. Yeaah, I used to do that sometimes when playing in an ensemble where people had to mesh (without sounding like a garbage truck falling off of the Empire State building.

Man, that brings back memories.

I can dig it. I did a tape back in 82? 83. It was sop/alt/ten sax, clar, and flute. (no trumpet or chromo on that one..a mistake). But that was 27 years ago and I was already a 'never-was'. lolol MY era was actually 1960-1980.

I didn't know I still had those memories...
after all, they say if you remember the 1960's, you weren't doing it right.
Maybe brain cells do regenerate???

I wasn't into anything 'kookie'. Couldn't afford it. Got out of the Seebees in 65, went to work in a shipyard. Joined the force in 69. Soooo, I was pretty much tied up just trying to feed myself. (oh, and I got married in 67 lolol).

Keyser Joe Sosa

PEACE Splash ----