Re: [Harp-L] Re: what keys?

Well, you have to have at least a smattering of music for horn. Mainly because most are in Bb, so right off the bat your music is written in another key to start with. And if it isn't, you have to transpose in your head. Something I was never able to get a handle on. But now I do it with chromo...AND I don't know how I am doing it.

Most harmonica players, at least chromo, that 'I have come across, play (or learned) by ear. Even those who now read. didn't start out that way. Same goes for diatonic. Maybe moreso. Opposite is true for horns. Remember the 'key' word that big Mike used was 'most'. There is a down side to being 'only' a reading player. I know musicians that are fantastic but are lost without a chart. I even know of guys who chart out their parts that are supposed to be improvs. (They always sound a little forced to me).

Back to sleep.....smo-joe and the amazing electric neon rain coat.